Monday, August 30, 2010

amalia rodrigues

advice from my great grandmother that my vovo passed on: "every pot has a lid. sometimes the lids get misplaced, but the right lid always turns up eventually."

amalia rodrigues' beautiful fado


De manhã, que medo que me achasses feia,
acordei tremendo deitada na areia.
Mas logo os teus olhos disseram que não!
E o sol penetrou no meu coração.

Vi depois numa rocha uma cruz
e o teu barco negro dançava na luz...
Vi teu braço acenando entre as velas já soltas...
Dizem as velhas da praia que não voltas.

São loucas... são loucas!

Eu sei, meu amor, que nem chegaste a partir,
pois tudo em meu redor me diz que estás sempre comigo.

No vento que lança areia nos vidros,
na água que canta no fogo mortiço,
no calor do leito dos bancos vazios,
dentro do meu peito estás sempre comigo.

Eu sei, meu amor, que nem chegaste a partir

-

in the morning, how i feared you would find me ugly

but your eyes told me the opposite and the sun reached my heart

then i saw a cross upon a rock

and your black boat dancing in the light

and your hand waving among the loosened sails

they say you'll never return to this old beach


they're crazy...they're crazy!

i know, my love, you never left

because everything around me tells me you're always with me


in the wind that throws sand on the windows,

water that sings in the dying fire,

in the warmth of empty seats,

within my heart, you're always with me


1 comment: